Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"I'm tired of pretending like I'm not special"

So the Charlie Sheen saga has been understandably overshadowed by the tragic events in Japan.  I am horrified by the numbers that keep rolling in as the search continues for life amidst the devastated land.  It's really sad that it took something like this to get the media off of Sheen's back.  I don't know much about Charlie Sheen's past that would have brought him to this breaking point, and I do not watch his show.  I even avoid the news when possible since I just cannot handle hearing about all of the horrible things that go on from day to day.  I heard about Charlie Sheen through word of mouth and googled his interview.  It really made me sad that his weaknesses were being exploited and used for comical entertainment.  Granted he said some pretty strange things that make for good 'water-cooler' chat and some laughs.  But his troubles are very real and the man is in obvious need of some serious help...before he hurts himself or someone else.  


This past week, I have been guilty of dwelling on my own weaknesses.  Struggling with feeling incompetent in so many areas of my personal responsibility as a mom, wife, business owner, housekeeper, friend.  I am so glad that I do not have cameras & tabloids on me 24/7 to exploit my weaknesses.  I went to Bible study this morning where it was said that "everyone has something they are really good at"--a "gift" that God can use for His glory: be it cooking, organization, teaching, etc.  This too has been an inward struggle of mine as I have never really known what my "gift" is.  I am very aware of my weaknesses, and any strengths I have attempted to list are qualified by weakness--meaning, I am not "great" at anything.  What I realize is, I am ok with this.  My personal objective in life and my calling is not to be known as "great" at this or that.  What is unique about serving the Lord is that He is what makes us great, He is the one to be glorified in anything I might do--not me.  So, to quote Charlie Sheen, "I'm tired of pretending like I'm not special", I know that I am special in God's eyes, and His purpose and calling on my life far exceed anything I could ever accomplish in my own ability.  


Yes, I am a capable, educated woman, and I on my own could pursue a life others could envy I suppose...but for what purpose?  I am a sinner in need of my Saviour.  I am so grateful that He desires my time and my skills and even my weaknesses, and He see's my potential and knows me better than I know myself.  2 Corinthians 12:9,10 (NLT) " 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weaknesses.'  So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."

3 comments:

  1. I love this Rebekah! You are such an amazing person, friend, wife, mother and well JUST EVERYTHING! I love that I can call you not just my friend but one of my BEST FRIENDS!!! You inspire me to become a better woman of Christ! I love you and I love your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I've always known I'm special. However, it's more in a "please don't eat the paste" sort of way. :)

    Still countin' down to Mr. Wesley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aron! I am so glad we have each other!

    Shay, I love you because you ARE special! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...